State Police of Latvia
The State Police of Latvia is a direct administration body under the supervision of the Minister of Transport. It carries out supervision and control activities of road transport within the state.
Established in January 2006, the State Police of Latvia consists of 3 divisions - the division of Administrative affairs, the division of Finance affairs and the division of Control affairs.
The main functions of the State Police of Latvia are:
- carrying out control of the transport operations on the roads and in the companies;
- identification of the problems related to the control of the transport operations, submission of the proposals to the Ministry of Transport concerning improvements of the efficiency of control;
- drafting proposals to improve regulations related to the control of the transport operations;
- consulting, advising and assisting involved institutions in solving problems related to control of the transport operations, participation in working groups and conferences;
- co-operation with state, local, foreign and international institutions, exchange of information in the fields related to the activities of the State Police of Latvia;
- participation in the international co-operation projects aimed at improvement of control of the transport operations;
- ensuring effective and goal-directed use of the allocated state budget funds;
- carrying out other functions laid down by other regulations in the field of road transport.